After being gone for a long time, the global leaderboards are now available again. Check them out!
As you may have noticed, Splix has changed a bit recently. Connecting to the teams gamemode has been broken for a while. So it's UI has been removed for now. Instead, you can now select a server that you'd like to connect to from the dropdown menu. Don't worry though! The plan is to bring back teams, hopefully within the next few weeks.
New server rewrite
The server code has been completely rewritten from scratch. There shouldn't be much of a difference though, the core gameplay is still the same, but there are some subtle differences. These servers may have some new bugs, but some long standing bugs have also been fixed. If you wish, you may select the 'Legacy' server from the dropdown menu to play on the old server.
Overal, the new servers should be more stable than the old one, but more importantly: Their code is much more modern and better organised, which makes it easier to maintain them. Which brings me to my next point...
Splix is now open source
That's right, you can view or contribute to the code on GitHub. This also allows you to host your own server instance. If you wish to play with just your friends, or if you want custom gameplay, the GitHub repository contains info on how to host and connect to your own instance.
Feel free to contact @jespertheend on the splix Discord if you'd like your server to be added to the 'unofficial' section in the server selection dropdown menu.
Changes for each version can be found on GitHub. Older changes are listed below:
- Fixed 'o' key toggling leaderboard even in the login screen.
- Fixed being able to kill yourself by pausing and then moving in the opposite direcion (making a 180 degree turn).
- Fixed keys getting stuck when holding them and clicking away the focus from the browser window.
- Fixed an issue where other players would have a ghost trail while they were in their own land.
- Fixed #animal names of servers changing every minute.
- Fixed an issue that would break servers entirely, causing a 'Couldn't connect' error to appear whenever you tried to join.
- You can now toggle leaderboard visibility using the 'o' key.
- When opening a team url on a mobile browser, the page will ask to redirect to the app since the app now has team mode support.
- Added an ugly mode toggle to the home screen.
- If you're the creator of the game you'll get fancy goggles
- Holding an arrow key while pressing another arrow key now remembers your direction
- Removed the letters L and i from team urls because they look too much like each other
- Fixed not being able to connect to a team server when starting a game too quickly after creating a team.
- Opening a #team url or a url with an #animal in it now asks if you want to open the app on mobile devices. wext mobile update will have support for teams :)
- Fixed dying after having just killed another player.
- Fixed two players being able to kill the same player at once.
- Changed the map size back to 600x600 to lower the chance of spawning in someones land. Player count is now between 60 and 90 players per lobby. There are also only two lobbies per server now, which should also decrease the amount of lag.
- Changed the port of the team server, if you weren't able to connect to the team server first you might be now.
- Added Patreon support
- Added patreon pattern and gold color.
- Added luh pattern.
- Changed the limit of amount of players per server to about 70, the map is now 500x500 in size.
- Fixed kills being counted twice.
- Made the spawn algorithm a bit less accurate when a lot of players are spawning at once, this was causing a lot of lag.
- Added new teams gamemode.
- Added local high scores.
- Fixed players not having the same color as their land.
- +500 is now only shown when you are the one who killed a player.
- Made the changelog scrollable.
- Fixed key strokes not getting registered.
- Fixed the disconnected message from being spammed.
- Quality is now set to high by default.
- Fixed players spawning all at the same position.
- Fixed blocks being captured at the edge of your area because of lag.
- Fixed border blocks turning into player blocks.
- Added an ugly mode which can be enabled on splix.io/flags.
- Added a box with the latest changes and news.
- Use the P key to freeze your player, in case you need a toilet break. But watch out! Anyone can kill you when paused, even on your own land.